We received 425 short paper submissions (excluding withdrawn submissions). In total we received 392 more papers than NAACL-HLT2016.
We make sure each area chair gets a light meta-review load, usually < 15 long+short papers which match the chair’s expertise. Each reviewer gets <=3 papers across all long and short tracks so everyone will have time to provide quality reviews.
Short paper submissions by area:
Information Extraction: 49
Machine Translation: 34
Text Mining: 32
Machine Learning for NLP: 31
Social Media and Computational Social Science: 31
Tagging, chunking, syntax and parsing: 31
Question Answering: 28
Sentiment Analysis: 22
NLP Applications: 19
Dialog and interactive systems: 16
Discourse and pragmatics: 15
Vision, robots, and other grounding: 15
Phonology, Morphology and word segmentation: 12
Cognitive modeling / Psycholinguistics: 5
Theory and Formalisms: 3
15 short paper submissions rejected without review:
- 4 papers put author names under titles or discloses author identity explicitly
- 5 papers have more than 4 pages of content
- 6 papers used smaller font, or smaller margin and line space, or in another way did not adhere to the NAACL HLT 2018 format guidelines
With respect to these issues, we note that:
- The call for papers has a set of author guidelines that clearly outline the requirements regarding format and anonymity.
- The LaTeX and Word templates, in addition to instantiating the NAACL HLT 2018 format guidelines, clearly define how to meet the requirements regarding format and anonymity.
- The submission pages for long and short paper submissions start with instructions, including these:
If your paper does not adhere to the ACL author guidelines, it will be rejected without review.
If your paper does not adhere to the guidelines in the relevant NAACL-HLT 2018 call, it will be rejected without review.
- Finally, to be super clear, the author(s) completing the submission form are required to confirm that they have read, understood and followed the guidelines:
Check List for Submissions:
Please confirm that your submission adheres to the ACL author guidelines and to the NAACL-HLT 2018 submission guidelines for your submission type.
Follows ACL author guidelines? (*) Follows NAACL-HLT 2018 guidelines for paper length? (*) Follows NAACL-HLT 2018 guidelines for paper style? (*) Follows NAACL-HLT 2018 guidelines for data handling? (*) Follows NAACL-HLT 2018 guidelines for authorship? (*)