We feel sorry at delivering bad news to the authors of 19 long papers during the holiday season. The reasons for rejecting these papers without review are as follows, hopefully it could help authors avoid similar mistakes for future submissions.
- Violated ACL Blind Review Policy:
- 2 papers include author name and affiliation under title, and do not follow NAACL format style requirement.
- 1 paper includes a self-identified url link to their github page which includes an anthor’s name and homepage.
- 2 papers’ arxiv versions (no significant change from NAACL submissions) were posted after November 15 (one month before the long paper submission deadline).
- 1 paper’s title includes the authors’ affiliation.
- 1 paper’s acknowledgement includes the authors’ affiliation.
- 2 papers includes explicit self-citations that disclose the authors’ names.
- Did not meet format requirement:
- 1 paper has five lines longer than the content page limit.
- 3 papers have one page longer than the content page limit.
- 5 papers used smaller font and/or smaller margin than required NAACL format.
- 1 paper’s file is damaged and cannot be opened.
We understand that every single paper submission has tremendous hard work behind it, so it deserves to be read and reviewed carefully. The area chairs and PC chairs worked very hard to identify these cases within 1-14 days after the long paper submission deadline, so hopefully we leave the authors enough time for revision and re-submission to other programs.
Proceed with Review: Several other papers mistakenly merged content together with appendix as one single pdf for submission. We decided to proceed with reviewing them normally.
The authors of short papers please submit papers and appendices separately, if you have appendices. We are also making this point clearer in the CFP and NAACL style file.